As you deal with your cancer and the process of treatment, you need to have honest, open discussions with your cancer care team. You should feel free to ask any question that’s on your mind, no matter how trivial it might seem. Among the questions you might want to ask are:
- What kind of mesothelioma do I have?
- Has my cancer spread beyond the primary site?
- What is the stage of my cancer and what does that mean to me?
- What treatment options do I have?
- What do you recommend and why?
- What is my prognosis?
- What risks or side effects are there to the treatments you suggest?
- What are the chances my cancer will recur (come back) with these treatment plans?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
In addition to these sample questions, be sure to write down some of your own. For instance, you might want more information about recovery times. Or, you may want to ask about second opinions or about clinical trials for which you may qualify.
Mesothelioma: Questions to Ask your Doctor